Sending a casualty to rescue in an Uber
Modified on: Sun, 25 Apr, 2021 at 7:20 PM
In our experience, most Uber drivers are quite happy to take a well-contained wildlife casualty to rescue on your behalf. There's no need to travel with the animal so the cost will only be for a one way journey. Here's a step by step guide on how to accomplish this.
1. Ensure you have the casualty contained. A well secured, strong cardboard box is suitable in most cases, ideally lined with a towel for grip and comfort. Remove any food and water so it doesn't get spilled. Seal the box securely with tape and create air holes in the top and side to ensure there is plenty of air flow. The box is then best placed within a larger ‘bag for life’ style shopping bag with handles to provide extra protection and so that the driver can carry and pass to the wildlife rescue/rehabber easily.
2. Make sure you have a rescue place lined up, that the rescue are happy and able to receive the animal via Uber soon, and you have the address details for the rescue.
3. Download the Uber app if you haven't already done so and check that they are operating in your area by typing in your collection postcode and the destination postcode. At this point you will see a quote for the cost of the journey. If you have tried other options and cannot afford the cost we may be able to help cover this. If Uber isn't available in your area, it's worth contacting local minicab companies as they may also be willing to help.
4. Check you have everything ready as they will often arrive to you quite quickly and then press 'accept' to confirm the journey. You will see the name of the driver, car model and number plate on the screen. There is at this time an option to also send a message labelled 'any pickup notes?'.
Here you can type in that it is a securely contained animal to be delivered to a wildlife rescue and that they just need to pass the bag to someone at the other end who is waiting ready to receive it. A phone number for the recipient can also be put here in case of any questions the other end.
5. When the driver arrives, they generally prefer to be met outside and may ask you to place the bag on the back seat of the car for them.
6. Once they leave, please follow the journey on the app as the driver will type a message to you if they have any problems. You'll also be able to see when the animal is delivered successfully. Be sure to leave the driver a 5 star rating for their help.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.